Saturday, November 24, 2012

Obsidian: review

Title: Obsidian (Lux #1)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Genres: sci-fi ya, hot guys
Rating: five stars!!!
Source: library
Summary: Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

If I don't kill him first, that is.

   I got so enraptured with Obsidian from page one that I forgot to take notes. Any. Nada. Nothing. Which sucks now, because ahead is pretty much just me fangirling. I apologize in advance.

   This book is *everywhere* on the Internet. Goodreads. Blogs. I've been seeing it around since it came out. But stupid me, I took one look at the cover, and figured it was some weird adult fantasy twisted thing. Last week I happened to read the actual synopsis...yeah, a second later I was on the library site, putting it on hold. But really, you can't blame me. I've never seen it at my indie bookstore, so how was I supposed to know it was YA? Now I'm recommending it to everyone I know.

   I've decided this is my new favorite paranormalish series since City of Bones. I tentatively say It's a mix of I Am Number Four and Twilight. And this is SO much better than both. You can love both stories, or not like them. It's the best combo and she really knows her audience. (I really despise using comparisons against Twilight. But it's like the basis for all things paranormal now, and I couldn't help but think of it.) Oh, actually maybe a better comparison would be Vampire Diaries? Nah, there isn't a love triangle yet at least. It's your average paranormal but like awesomer. And intense. Really intense.

   The writing reads like a fan fiction. A GOOD fan fic; the one you find in all those thousands of browsing that makes you go "this should be published." I think it's an easy read, because I literally could not stop reading it, and finished in one sitting broken up between meals. (Hey, it was Thanksgiving, I couldn't get out of it.) I was in great need of a book I could lose myself in, that didn't require much thinking, and I got it.

   There is serious chemistry between Katy and Daemon. They have the ultimate hate-hate relationship and the air just hurts with the tension. Of all kinds. And by the end of the book? It's not even boring and they still don't like each other. Which means in book two it will still be all crackly atmosphere. Bring it on! Their bantering was exhausting at times, but completely natural and made me squeal and laugh at the same time. See? Fangirling. Warned you.

   Great world building--er species building? The mythology? It's everyday life not a dystopian world, but with this awesome paranormal/sci-fi aspect to her small creepy town. What Daemon and his sister are... It's incredibly unique, with the lightning and supercool powers. I couldn't get enough. And the bad guys are great. Realistic intriguing backstory for everything Daemon explained and I hope I learn more about the Luxen in Onyx because they sound like an interesting species.

   Also, I cam relate to Katy in some way because she is a book blogger! That's a first. I resisted jumping for joy upon learning that, but a grin set in nonetheless. Which lasted the whole story. Her hobby is so modern, and really sets the story to be: "well, that could be me. I read stories every day like she does, and she manages to get an out-of-this-world life!"

   Dee, Daemon's sister, also deserves a mention. She wasn't what I first expected, as the usual "sister-friend" and then becomes a witch with a B. Dee broke that stereotype and became the big sister I never had. Katy and her are fast friends, and her attitude is so shiny, it's hard not to become happy around her.

   There are so many funny quotes that I couldn't even begin to share them. I would have had to bookmark every single page. And libraries don't appreciate that very much, I've learned. So just trust me you'll be smiling the whole time at the witty dialogue.

   Now right after I finish this sentence I have to go request the second one, Onyx from the library. There are perks to getting to a series way behind everyone else!!!

   WHAT. This is torture. There are six people ahead of me at the library till I can get my hands on the next chapter of Katy and Daemon. And since my bookstore doesn't actually sell any of Armentrout's books (despite my subtle insistence) I have to wait impatiently. Patiently. I can do this.

   Anything else I have to say....? Nothing's coming to mind. I guess only: If you're part of the minority who hasn't gotten their hands and heart into Obsidian yet, well, you have to mend that immediately. It's one of my favorite reads this year!

-Jane

1 comment:

  1. Obsidian is definitely not some weird adult fantasy twisted thing. lol And I agree with you, it is amazing! My review is also just me fangirling about the book. Now just wait until you read Onyx, it's even better!

    Anatea @ Anatea's Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete