Saturday, December 15, 2012

Requiem: review

Warning: this following blurb and review has spoilers for the first two book in the Delirium series, so read no further if you plan to read them! :)
Title: Requiem (Delirium #3)
Author: Lauren Oliver
Rating: 5 bright stars!
Summary: Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancĂ©e of the young mayor. Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.


   First before I forget! I really recommend reading the three .5 books, Hana, Annabel and Raven before reading Requiem. Hana is already out and Annabel comes out the day after Christmas and...Raven comes out the same day of Requiem. :) I've only read Hana so far and it was really worth it. Gave a whole different pov that added to my reading experience of Requiem.

   This series didn't really start on a good foot for me. When I read Delirium I passed it off as another "pretty okay" dystopian. Back then (a few years ago) is when the genre started to get really popular, so books like these were popping up all over the place. Honestly, I thought it was a little formulaic. But then I read Pandemonium and totally LOVED that book. I'm not sure, maybe it was the whole different mood of seeing the other side of the rebels taking action, and behind the scenes. Lena changes the most in that second book, and I still think it's my favorite of the three. This of course defies the Second Book Slump theory, and I was pretty delighted.

   My favorite aspect of this series as a whole is the pacing. Lauren Oliver manages to keep you really hooked into the story to where there isn't really a good place to pause. Now, I don't actually think the first book had anything special (again) but in Pandemonium Lena is in a state of serious depression from Alex's death and keeps switching back from memories with him, to current day. This way each chapter ends and switches again, the action/interest never ceases! This tactic is great for getting through a book, but then you realize you've missed a whole days worth of meals... :P Anyway, in Requiem a similar style is used, but this time switching between Lena's crazy on-the-road-surviving-in-the-Wilds life, and Hana's calm, cured, and perfect impending future--at least, on the surface. At first, Hana kind of annoyed me, but she means well, and I got more used to switching away from Lena as the chapters flew by. Especially near the end, when the two povs finally coincide.

   It was great having Alex back. Sort of. I got really worried for a while, about why he's acting so strangely. (Which you see on the third page, so don't worry that wasn't a spoiler.) Thankfully my predictions were wrong! You might find that too, or I might just have overanalyzed like usual. Julian on the other hand, didn't really have much to say; he was like Lena's much-needed rock while Alex is all crazy. He's still not used to the Wilds but adapts a whole lot more than I expected.

   I'm very happy with how this trilogy ended. Requiem has the right amount of down-time and suspense; a great balance to the very last page. Especially when the climax comes, and gunfire is aplenty, Hana and Lena's paths finally converge. I really liked how Lena focuses on reconciling with Hana, and finding her cousin, Grace. Worry for the love interest is there too, but it doesn't just overwhelm her and make her do something stupid and one-track-minded. These connections outside the main love triangle are explored, and everything; the characters, rebellion...comes to a great ending that feels real and complete.

   Definitely don't waste any time getting to Requiem!! March 5th 2013! Hey, you can pre-order your copy at AmazonBarnes and Noble, or The Book Depository already. Whatcha waiting for?

;) Jane

1 comment:

  1. Like you, I didn't really LOVE the series until Pandemonium as well. While Delirium had gorgeous writing, the pace was just too slow for my tastes. Nor could I relate (or even like) Lena's character. I did love Hana though (I still need to get around to buying the novella.) I was relieved that Pandemonium sped things up and Lena was much more proactive. I was scared that it might fall into the wrath of middle book syndrome.


    Requiem is one of my most anticipated releases for 2013 (I'm a teeny bit jelly you read it already!) and I can't wait to find out how it all ends! And I hope I'll love it as much as you did.

    Lilian @ A Novel Toybox

    ReplyDelete