Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Goddess Interrupted: review

Title: Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test #2)
Author: Aimee Carter
Genres: Greek mythology retelling
Summary: Kate Winters has won immortality. But if she wants a life with Henry in the Underworld, she'll have to fight for it.

Becoming immortal wasn't supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she's as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he's becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate's coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans. As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person whom she would really rather not meet. Henry's first wife, Persephone.


I really, really hate writing bad reviews for books. It makes me sad. I debated a while if I should even post it on here. BUT these are my opinions, and sometimes it's hard not to just blurt them out. So, I really mean no offense to the author, or the characters. This is what I thought of Goddess Interrupted:


3.something stars.

First. STUPID CLIFFHANGER! -_- I wasn't going to, but NOW I have to keep reading the series. XD It's sillily addicting like that.

Okay.

Pretty much, the plot of Goddess Interrupted is.......A PITY PARTY! *celebrate* so if you LOVE in books:

-Lack of communication in a relationship

-whining

-Bellaness

-I don't deserve to live!

-Why does everybody hate me?

-I'm such a burden. (curls up in a ball of misery)

-I'm in a love triangle: my husband still loves his first wife! He won't kiss me!

-sobbing. (I should have counted the number of times that word was used. SUCK IT UP, KATE)

- etc.

...then you'll LOVE THIS BOOK.


I loved the first book. It was fun, unique and after reading it, I found out it is the first in a series. Wonderful. I always end up wishing that there were more to the standalone books and fewer in series. Do you get that feeling too?

This whole freaking book was centered around marriage. Now, I am not against marriage, but, unlike Kate, I do NOT believe it is necessary for a woman to be married, to be happy in her life. I mean, she is SO dependent on NEEDING Henry to love her. The problem is, for the entire book she expects HIM to fix it and not actually just TELL him how she is feeling! AKA: unloved.

There are so many problems with relationships in here too. Half the time I don't even understand why someone is hurting who, and for what random past 'wrong' they did to them over someone sleeping with someone else. Infidelity and fidelity are almost interchangeable. Why? Because the gods live eons and eons and, well, no one can stay with another THAT long without getting bored. So it is known, but not really dealt with between the gods.

The action scenes in here are LAME. Every time a fight came up, Kate was either immediately knocked out or transported right outta there, while someone more fit to the job, (hm, like A MALE?) I think she punched Calliope at one point? But that whole scene was a mess, so I'm not actually sure what happened.

It's degrading and embarrassing how women act like and are treated in the story. I can't get over it. 

Henry, I know you've been hurt for thousands of years, but dude! Just SAY SOMETHING. Then everything will be fine!


Excuse my rant. I need to stop now, before I totally kill this book.


-Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment