Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Dreamless: review


Title: Dreamless (Starcrossed #2)
Author: Josephine Angelini
Genres: greek mythology retelling ya, urban fantasy
Summary: As the only Scion that can enter Hades at will, Helen descends to the Underworld in search of a way to overcome the Furies and end the cycle of revenge that has cursed the Scions. But she’s running out of time. Each descent weakens her both in mind and spirit. A mysterious stranger might be her only salvation, but the price may be her love for Lucas Delos.

As an unforgettable love triangle emerges, Josephine Angelini’s compelling saga becomes ever more intricate and spellbinding. The eagerly awaited sequel to the internationally bestselling Starcrossed, Dreamless delivers with a huge emotional impact that will leave readers satisfied—and longing for more.



I'm so happy I finally got to this! It was super fun, and I read it in a day and half. Now I really can't wait for the last one...but it's so far away. I wonder what it will be called!?

I love that moment--however delayed it may be--of figuring out the title of a book. Like WHY it is called that? You know that, right? Yep. Had that about halfway through, though felt slightly slow when I did.

Alright. Once again, it's always easier to write reviews on books I hate, than ones I thoroughly enjoyed, so I'll try my best.

THERE ARE SPOILERS FOR STARCROSSED.

I only read Starcrossed once, a few months before it came out. I remember about 20% of it. It took me a few pages to remember who the Mortal-Best-Friends were: Claire and Matt. And what happened to Daphne: she disappeared. Also, what the status between Lucas and Helen was: sorted out almost immediately, seriously you can't miss it.

There! Now you don't have to go back and reread it before picking up this awesome sequel.


I just love the mythology in this series! I haven't found good quality modern retelling Greek mythology since Percy Jackson. She ties in all these crazy gods attacking innocent mortals and you're like, awesome.
There is a strong main cast of characters, all the teenagers the 'reincarnations?' of the ancient heroes/people. My favorite it Hector! I feel the need to hug him every time he is mentioned. Which isn't a lot in Dreamless, by the way. Because of the whole Outcast thing.

In Starcrossed...the romance is awesome. Lucas is a great love-interest and doesn't sparkle or anything, which is always nice. BUT then you find out the whole Scion thing, and who Helen's parents are and then it all goes downhill. HELLO THEY ARE RELATED. But it's so sad!! They fell in love, Helen and Lucas (Paris) and now they're cousins! It should bother me more, but I am still rooting for them in the end, even though Orion is okay.

Orion is more than okay. He is a good rivalry for Lucas, but...not...because the two become sort of friends (new twist on that cliche!) and also, Orion and Helen aren't related as closely so it's kind of not as creepy for them to be together!

*group hug*

Still team Lucas. He can fly.

As far as the plot of Dreamless goes, honestly, there was a LOT of misleadingness--a great relief on my part!
Oh it's so hard to write this without spoilers.........................................................................................okay. I guess all i can say is, if you are suspecting something bad is going to happen maybe rethink it. Especially at the end. Concerning memory.

I almost forgot, I had some major deja vu when reading this. And I STILL can't put my finger on what it is! The thing that triggered it: Helen was sick the entire book with a sort of demigod sleeping disorder. She doesn't really tell anybody, but just accepts it as a part of fate and ignores it. Where have I read that before? The main character getting sicker and weaker as the book goes on? Anybody??

There is this one scene SMALL SPOILER ALERT! where I actually felt like I was choking and gagging, which I kept telling myself it is good writing if I can't breathe. But that was my reaction only because Helen's throat had just been cut, not because of some squealy scene. I seriously felt like it was happening to me too, while she is hopelessly trying to communicate and blood is spurting out of her neck... Probably best part of the book in my opinion. END SPOILER.

Giggling. That's what happens to me when the whole banished, Outcast thing pops up. And that's originally how Helen and Lucas had met, right? Set eyes on each other, both belonging to different houses, and BAM. "I have the sudden need to kill you." "Ditto." Totally a turn on, right? I know.
It's just such a crazy idea and so creative, and a big part of the arc-story in the series. Looove.

A heads up, the ending is one of those rare ones that leaves you reasonably hanging, but NOT where you are annoyed as hell, picking your jaw off the floor, or throwing the book against a wall. It has an end enough to keep you happy and wanting more at the same time.

Well, I don't think I'm missing anything. Wait, yes I am. I have something to admit. When I read Starcrossed, I knew it was mythology based. That's it. So when I went to Changing Hands to meet Josephine Angelini and get my book signed (^_^) I was met with a surprise. In her talk in taking turns between Veronica Roth (!!!!got Divergent signed too!!!!) and Aprilynne Pike (Huge fan as well!), she mentioned her new book Starcrossed was a retelling of the Helen of Troy story. My reaction: "Wait, WHAT?" *Facepalm* I think everyone knew that but me.

You will LOVE this book, if you're at all a fan of Die for Me by Amy Plum, the Percy Jackson series, or anything mythology in general.

Only a year till I learn the fate of Helen and Lucas...
-Jane


3 comments:

  1. Great review!! OMG I loved Starcrossed so much. I'm a new follower and just wanted to drop by and say hi :)

    Feel free to check out my blog & follow too!!

    -Riya (The Teen Book Guru)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ending is definitely not the worst cliffhanger I've ever read, but it definitely had me growling and grumbling over reaching the end of the book. There is so much possibility and potential for the next book, and I really can't wait until I can get my hands on it.
    Top Fly-In Alaska Salmon Fishing Luxury Lodge website

    ReplyDelete