Monday, August 13, 2012

Team Human: review

Title: Team Human
Authors: Justine Larbalestier & Sarah Rees Brennan
Genres: parody, vampires, laugh out loud
Rating: 4 stars
Source: library
Summary: Just because Mel lives in New Whitby, a city founded by vampires, doesn't mean she knows any of the blood-drinking undead personally. They stay in their part of town; she says in hers. Until the day a vampire shows up at her high school. Worse yet, her best friend, Cathy, seems to be falling in love with him. It's up to Mel to save Cathy from a mistake she might regret for all eternity

On top of trying to help Cathy (whether she wants it or not), Mel is investigating a mysterious disappearance for another friend and discovering the attractions of a certain vampire wannabe. Combine all this with a cranky vampire cop, a number of unlikely romantic entanglements, and the occasional zombie, and soon Mel is hip-deep in an adventure that is equal parts hilarious and touching.

First, I've seen a lot of people complaining about what this book is about, and how cliche i is. People, it's a parody. So of course it's funny. And sometimes stupid. So there, understand that. I laughed out loud a couple times and smiled a lot while reading. (The vampire) Francis's old fashioned speaking is so over the top, it's ridiculous. (btw I'm watching The Vampire Diaries right now, happenstance, and Stefan totally sounds like that sometimes...just an observation.) Team Human was great overall, seeing every single aspect of a vampire get taken apart, and assembled in a completely different point of view. And yes, it's a tad too much, as parodies are. That's why you can appreciate its funniness. It's not meant to be taken seriously.

There is no way a vampire in a hazmat suit out on a sunny day can be taken seriously.

I didn't really like Mel, the main character. She was biased, prejudiced, and a little off-putting. I am getting the feeling she is supposed to be like that, for the story to work. But Mel has such a strong personality, and I guess it's just overwhelming to read, coming from someone totally not like that. And I didn't agree on her views about Cathy (read: Bella.)

Otherwise, I thought Kit (Mel's love interest raised by vamps) was nice and fun, totally someone I could hang with. And it's so funny how he is naive to human things, traditions, social behavior...Definite laugh factor.

I found myself leaning to Team Vampire, not Human, because I totally related to Cathy. And I am so sorry, I can't believe I'm admitting that, but I would love to study and learn for centuries on end like Cathy wants to. Maybe it's a nerd thing.

The ONLY part of the vampire mythology I did not like, was that vampires can't laugh. Physically CAN'T. How incredibly sad is that? So, for that only reason, would I not become one in here. Not because of the possibility of death or zombification. I need to laugh. I love laughing.

I liked the mystery/sleuth aspect of Team Human, where we figure out what's up with Anna's dad. I did not expect it, and from the back summary, you get a little hint, but I guess it's the subplot. Or equally important second plot. Anyway, it was light, mysterious and enjoyable.

And...I hear there is a possible sequel...I'm a little surprised because it ended pretty well, but I can definitely see how another one could be okay. We shall see, I suppose.

-Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment