Saturday, August 18, 2012

Nevermore: review

Title: Nevermore (Maximum Ride #8)
Author: James Patterson
Rating: 5 stars!
Genres: apocalyptic, sci-fi, wicked-bird-kid-mutants
Source: borrowed
Summary: 
One last chance...
For Max, Fang, Angel, Iggy, Nudge, and Gazzy.
Before it all ends.

Are you ready for the final chapter? Are you ready for the ultimate flight? Because THIS IS IT. One last incredible, explosive adventure with an astonishing ending that no one could have seen coming.


(Wow, apparently it's one of those summaries. That reveals absolutely nothing of the book itself.)


(Just really quick, who is supposed to be on the cover? Max? What's with the white hair? Angel? No, she has blonde curls. Anyone?)

There are a couple minor spoilers for the rest of the Maximum Ride series in this review.

I really had no idea what to expect in the last Maximum Ride book. Now, after a quick stop into Barnes and Noble to read it this morning, I'm still not sure about the ending. (I'm going to say that a lot in here, you'll notice, so I am sorry in advance.)

The backflap summary pretty much says doomsday is here, and Max is going to die. There was a freaking R.I.P. sticker on my copy at the store. (Oh, here it is below) Great way to want to start reading it, right? Well, I read it in one sitting, because from start to finish, it's one horrible disaster after another. People die left and right...and come left and right back alive.


So if you're familiar with James Patterson's writing, you'll get what I mean by "it reads like a fanfic." Also the first four books seem to be a series of their own, with an actual "series arc" going on. Then come the straggling books Max, Fang, and Angel. Where Max and Fang are just horribly out of place and seem to wander randomly through some vague plot, Angel, makes something actually happen. The story progresses. Finally, even if it is tragic. And then we have this end book (which is actually as good as Angel was).

I have to say, JP, what were you thinking, bringing Dylan into the story FIVE BOOKS IN? And expecting us to just say, "Hi! Welcome to the flock! Fang can go away now." Um, I think not?! I still have serious issues with that dude. You cannot, cannot create a love triangle at the end of a series. That's gotta be in some handbook of writing somewhere. Because really, Max and Fang have to be together for all eternity. It's a rule of the universe. It's like gravity! Okay, maybe not. But still.
Fax forever.

Final character opinions:
Angel is still creepy. (Oops, that implies she is alive...) I wish The Gasman was in it more; I think he only had about five lines. I'm going to miss Nudge, the bird-girl forever wishing to be normal. I love Iggy. :D You already know my views on Dylan. Max I would want to be, if I were fictional. Fang. Ah, Fang. Dude, I'm so glad you came back.

And I almost forgot, we find out who the Voice is! Yes, some of you might have almost forgotten about that small annoyance, eh? Well it's back. Although it is said who the Voice is, by that complicated and rather (literally) explosive ending, maybe I didn't find out after all...a lot of things are left up in the air.

So what did I think of the ending? Well there were five times I thought it was going to end, but then another epilogue appeared. And then another. ....so when the end finally came, I was surprised at how okay I was with the world ending and everyone on the planet dying and all of those wonderful happenings. In the pages right before though, I was anxious, confused, freaked out, and a tear might have wanted to well up, though I caught that in time. No, I'm still confused what exactly happened at the very end. Maybe it's supposed to be that way? I honestly didn't see it coming.

Remember, from the beginning of the series, we were warned the world would end.

Now this rather confusing review might just make you go, huh?? But believe me, with the events that went on in Nevermore, that was my thought most of the time too. As a whole though, I am extremely satisfied with the book (and dare I say that happy ending?), and the only reason I didn't buy it right then and there after reading, was that I already have the rest of the series in paperback. ;)

Oh no! It just hit me! That was the LAST MAXIMUM RIDE BOOK! What shall I do now? Just go back and read all the parts with Fang in them.

-Jane

Comment below if you understood the ending, and I am just a complete feather-head today for not quite getting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment