Tuesday, February 25, 2014

We Were Liars: review

We Were Liars
by E. Lockhart
Released: May 13th 2014
My Rating: 4 stars
Goodreads Summary:
A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.
 
We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart. 

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.



My Review:

I picked this book up with one thought: "oooh John Green blurb!" And that's about it.

I'll admit. I did not like most of the book. The prose is very weird. Especially in the beginning I got so confused, my friend had to read a chapter and explain it to me. But that's my fault because I got excited when Candence's dad turned around and shot her in the chest and her heart rolled into the flower bed.

Oh. Not literally? ...I knew that. 
The only reason I kept going (since usually I have no patience for books) was because within a week, four friends recommended it to me and said it was awesome, so I knew there had to be some sort of twist etc; and also it's super short. (okay two reasons.)

Near the middle-end...I started to guess what this twist could be. No, really! But I think I only had that spark in my head because I've read one book before with something similar. Not saying there is a twist. And I didn't guess it completely right anyway.


So since this is not a negative review, you can guess I ended up liking it. The writing managed to be so very concrete and dreamlike at the same time and upon finishing the book, I'm impressed. I feel like this book will be one that wins an award for being awesome. But with a more official award name obviously. Incandescent. And incandescent award.

Don't you love my ambiguity? It must be burning you up inside.

Bottom line is to go in blind, and do what the book suggests: read it. And if anyone asks you how it ends, just lie.


-Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment